Join the Steering Group
We are currently seeking Science Steering Group members from Wainwright and Point Hope. The Steering Group provides guidance on the scientific merits for development of the observing network, and oversight on investments in instrumentation and infrastructure. Learn more
We want to support science and place-based curriculum development about coastal change in Arctic Alaska for youth or regional colleges. Are you an educator or college professor in an AAOKH community? Please contact us to discuss opportunities to get involved in data collection, field trips, or use of data for science education and research.
We are interested in working with UAF students from AAOKH communities who can help build links between coastal observations and data with community interests or needs. Please contact us to discuss opportunities.
We're hiring coastal observers
We need your help keeping track of sea ice and permafrost change, and how it affects the timing of subsistence harvest activities and the condition of ice cellars.
Download job description (PDF)
We are building a network of coastal community observers across the Northwest Arctic and North Slope coast. Observations of snow and sea ice changes are shared broadly with other communities and the public.
Community observations from AAOKH provide an important link of locally relevant measurements of sea ice and the ocean to other observations made from research ships and satellites. Training and instruments will be provided.
You should have ...
- Good knowledge of local sea ice conditions and a way to travel to coastal sea ice and/or lagoons to make observations
- Experience with subsistence harvest activities and familiarity with local wildlife
- Interest in maintaining observing instruments
- Access to email for communication
At least once a week, you would ...
- Make observations and photographs of local sea ice conditions, and animals observed—particularly during freeze-up and break-up
- Take measurements of sea ice thickness, snow depth, water temperature and salinity
- Record GPS locations of sampling locations
- Send observations to AAOKH coordinator
- Report any problems with instruments or data collection
Positions pay $700 per month and are administered through UIC Science, with activities directed by AAOKH.
Interested? Please contact Science Co-lead Donna Hauser via email or call 907-474-1553.